Followers

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The One That Dropped Away: Fish Tale III

This fishing story takes place at Lake O'Neil on Camp Pendleton.  It is the largest lake on base, right next to the military hospital.  This day my brother, Bryan, and I drove out to Lake O'Neil to go fishing, which we did on a regular basis.  We would often rent a canoe for the whole day and use that to fish from.

We paddled out to the far side of the lake where all the cattails and reeds were located.  This was one of our favorite spots.  I was the first to cast.  As soon as my plastic worm touched the water I had a big bite.  When I set the hook I could tell it was a large fish.  I fought the fish for a few minutes before pulling it into the canoe.  It was a big largemouth bass, about six pounds.  The biggest fish I had ever caught up to that point.

I began to put the monster on the stringer when I heard Bryan say "let me put him on the stringer."  I replied with "no way are you even touching this fish".  He kept pestering me until I finally agreed.  I carefully handed him my trophy.  Let me take a moment to explain about the stringer.  It was one of those with metal hoops that kind of works like large safety pins without the sharp point on the end.  As I turned to grabbed my paddle I heard a metallic "ping" and a loud sickening "SPLASH".  So I asked "was that my fish"?  No reply.  I turned toward him and could tell by his demeanor that he had indeed dropped my prize fish into the lake.  I considered the possibility of throwing him in the lake so he could chase down my fish.  After careful thought, realizing I couldn't justify my actions to my mother, I decided not to throw him in after all.  I instead told him it was alright we would just get another one.  We just enjoyed the rest of the day.  The truth of the matter is simply this; I can always catch another fish but I really don't know how to catch another brother.

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment