Followers

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sevilla




About 60 miles north of Rota was the wonderful city of Sevilla (or Seville in English).  We took the train from Rota to Sevilla when we visited.

One of all time favorite memories of my time in Spain was when we visited the city of Sevilla.  English says it as Seville, but I'm used to the Spanish version which is Sevilla and it sounds better that way to me.  Sevilla was full of towers, massive cathedrals and art.  It is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to.


Above is the Seville Cathedral third largest church in Europe.  The interior of the cathedral is massive.  There is a lot of artwork on display.  The Giralda Tower is in the background to the right.  It was constructed by the Moors, completed in 1196 and took twelve years to build.  I climbed the tower, no stairs just one ramp winding all the way to the top.  It took awhile to get to the top.


Above is inside the cathedral.  The Tomb of Christopher Columbus.



This is Torre Del Oro, or the Gold Tower, a twelve sided tower built by the Moors along side the river in the 13th century to prevent christian invaders from attacking the city.





As the photo above shows I wasn't kidding in an earlier post about fruit trees being very common.  This shows how it looked just walking around.  I hope you get some idea of what great place this is to visit.  I hope you enjoy the photos.

Adios, for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment