Followers

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My First Teachers (And Favorite)


My very first time I got to attend school was while I living in Spain on a military base.  They were known back then as DOD schools, or Department of Defense schools. As far as I know going to a DOD school isn't really any different then attending normal grade school back home in the United States.

I cannot remember the names of most of my teachers from third grade and up but, remarkably I can easily recall my first two teachers without any effort what so ever; Mrs Barnes was my first grade teacher and Mrs. Link was my teacher for second grade.  Maybe my ability to remember their names after so many years isn't that remarkable after all.  They represented, at least to me, the prototypical idea of what a teacher should be.  I don't know if my memories paint too perfect of a picture of their qualities or they truly were awesome teachers.  I'm leaning to the latter.

Mrs. Barnes had a way of always knowing if you were okay and didn't let anything faze her resolve.  She never got upset and made you feel like you could do anything.  She instilled us with confidence and pride.  I always looked forward to going to school because of her.  We were lucky.

My favorite memory about Mrs Link is that she read us the novel Charlotte's Web in class.  I still remember that story as if was told to me yesterday.  It was magical to me at that time and to be honest, still is.  I thank her for that.  She was also kind and encouraging like Mrs. Barnes.

Until next time, adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment