Followers

Monday, February 6, 2012

Welcome to Rota


My family moved to Spain in the summer on 1968 and lived there for three years until 1971.  My father was assigned to the Marine Barracks on the Rota Spain Naval Base.  Marines are sometimes stationed on naval bases, because they are a component of the Department of Navy.  I would advise that you don't tell a Marine they are part of the Navy.  The rivalry between the Navy and the Marines is a little intense.  Rota is located in southern Spain not far from the Strait of Gibraltar.  Rota was at that time, it still might be, home to the Mediterranean Fleet.  Every six months that fleet of about 7000 sailors would hit Rota.  That might explain why Rota, the size of Greenville, Illinois, had over hundred bars.

Some of my favorite memories as a child was while I lived in Spain.  The weather was, and still is I imagine, perfect.  Everyday it was in the seventies, not too hot or too cold.  Spanish television was not compatible to our set, so we didn't watch TV for the whole three years we lived there.  As a result of no television, I played outside all day long until dinner time.  Fruit trees are common there so if I got hungry all I had to do was climb a tree.  I had a choice of figs, peaches, dates and pomegranates.  It wasn't necessary to come home for lunch.

I think that's good for now.  Next time I will get into more stories about my time in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment